Clam Bakes may evoke images of New England summer afternoons, but any Ohio mollusc lover knows that the Buckeye State is the true clam bake capital of the country. Chef Erin Stevens, Executive Sous Chef at Mapfre Stadium - home of the Columbus Crew - recently brought the classic dish to the Crew's supporters with a Columbus Crew Clam Bake. You can re-create the experience at home with her clam bake recipe...just make sure you have plenty of Old Bay on hand!
- 8 medium red potatoes quartered
- 1 pound clams in shell, scrubbed
- 1 pound of unpeeled large shrimp
- 4 ears of corn, quartered
- ½ pound of smoked sausage diced (kielbasa)
- 2 beers (16oz cans)
- 12 cups of water
- Old Bay seasoning
- Put beer and water in large sauce pot, add Old Bay seasoning (the more, the better) and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add corn and sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add clams and continue cooking for 10 mins.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until pink, ensure all clams are opened.
- Scoop and serve in large bowls or on a table covered in paper…..add more Old Bay.