Serves 8 people
- 1 ½ pounds - small raw shrimp
- ½ cup - onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons - garlic, chopped
- ½ cup - celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon - jalapeño, minced
- 2 tablespoons - fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons - parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon - fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon - kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon - cracked pepper
- Key lime aioli* (see recipe below)
- 8 torta buns, toasted
Dice half of the shrimp to ¼” pieces. Heat oil in sauté pan, and sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add celery, peppers, onion and jalapeño and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Once cooled, puree rock half of the shrimp in food processor or blender.
Combine and mix diced shrimp mixture with vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper and remaining whole shrimp.
Form the mixture into 6 ounce patties and place on a lined sheet pan. Place in refrigerator for one hour (patties will fall apart if not chilled). Cook in frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Top with key lime aioli and serve on toasted torta bun. If you like, add your favorite lettuce, tomato and onion.
Key Lime Aioli
2 cups – mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon – cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon – fresh key lime juice
- Zest of ½ a key lime
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until combined thoroughly. Season to taste and refrigerate until ready to serve.