No Kentucky Derby party is complete without some classic Southern dishes to go with your Mint Juleps, and this Butterbean and Radish Salad from Churchill Downs Executive Chef David Danielson is as Southern as it gets. It only takes a few minutes to prepare, leaving you plenty of time to choose your Derby hat and study up on the ponies before the race.
- 1 pound shelled fresh or frozen butterbeans (lima beans)
- ½ pound radish, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp lemon oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Blanch beans in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Rinse under cold water until cool.
- In a large mixing bowl mix beans and radishes.
- Add oil, lemon juice and cumin.
- Combine until well mixed.
- Add parsley and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.